Medical Laboratory Scientist
WK Medical Center
Lab - Lab-HLA
8:00 AM-4:30 PM
This position is in the specialized field of Histocompatibility; including areas of Flow Cytometry, DNA/PCR, and Organ Procurement/Preservation. The HLA Technologist contributes to the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients by the accurate performance and reporting of the laboratory testing procedures. Excellent communication skills are essential in maintaining a good rapport between the laboratory and the transplant teams, and to ensure that vital patient information is accurately shared between the groups.
The HLA Technologist is required to participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation every 3 to 4 weeks which include extended work hours.
Specific Job Duties:
The HLA Technologist will perform HLA antigen testing, antibody screening, and flow cytometric crossmatching for the evaluation of solid organ and stem cell transplant patients and their prospective donors.
Among other related duties:
- Performing laboratory procedures, recognizing deviation from expected results by ensuring sample suitability and accuracy.
- Resolving inconsistencies and correcting problems using scientific principles.
- Maintaining laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Ensuring quality control and functionality of instruments.
- Preparing laboratory for inspection from regulatory agencies.
- Monitoring, maintaining, ordering and stocking laboratory supplies.
- Providing customer service to answer questions from patient providers regarding test processes, patient results, or sample collection techniques.
Laboratory Training/Continuing Education:
All employees are required to attend hospital orientation on the initial start date and then will proceed to the laboratory to undergo an extensive training program throughout all laboratory disciplines pertaining to the specific position. We provide a one-on-one approach to this process, which typically is completed within the year of training.
Annual continuing education is provided by both Willis-Knighton and many of the instrument vendors, free of charge. This allows all employees to obtain required annual CEUs.
Bachelors of Science and each applicant is required to obtain a valid Louisiana State License in Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS)- generalist or specialist.
Strong organizational skills and problem solving capabilities required. Experience as a HLA Technologist and good computer skills preferred.
License or Certification: National Medical Technologist certification, CHS, or CHT. CHS or CHT certification preferred and applicant must sit for the CHT after one year of employment.
Willis-Knighton is an equal opportunity employer and thus, manages its employment and employee relations policies, practices and benefits without regard to age, race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, veteran, or other protected status where otherwise qualified.